Data Management and Storage
Today, data is everywhere and come in different shapes and volumes, in structured and unstructured forms. Companies need to store and manage these data using appropriate data management or database technologies for the success of their business processes. In the Gestão e armazenamento de dados (Data management and storage) course, students will get familiar with the architecture of a DBMS, the process of database modelling and normalization, the implementation of a relational database using SQL language (theoretical and practical), and the advantages and disadvantages of SQL and NoSQL databases. The students will be able to decide about the type of database is the best for their business needs.
Mijail Juanovich Naranjo Zolotov
Weekly - Available soon
Total - Available soon
Portuguese. If there are Erasmus students, classes will be taught in English
The lectures, group discussions, reading materials, quizzes, and exams will be all in English language. Although not mandatory, the students should have a proficient English language skills.
The course combines theoretical and practical lessons. The theoretical component includes lectures and slide show demostrations to present concepts and methodologies, solving examples in class and discussion. The practical part includes individual hands-on exercises and group work, where students will face a problem to discuss and solve in teams. Moreover, the lessons may apply short quizzes along the trimester to assess the student¿s progress and understanding of the theoretical materials.
Regular examination period (1st epoch)
- A group project (50%).
- Final exam (50%).
Resit examination period (2nd epoch)
- A group project (50%)
- Final exam (50%).
- The score in the exam should at least 9.0 (out of 20).
- The groups are made of 5 students.
- Late deliveries for the project will be penalized with 1 point for each late day up to 5 points.
LU1. Course Overview. DBMS architecture. Introduction to Entiry-Relationship diagram (ERD). Conceptual modelling.
LU2. Design a relational databases with a sound structure. Data Normalization (3-Normal Forms).
LU3. SQL benchmarking. Database creation. DDL operations. Introduction to MySQL workbench.
LU4. CRUD operations.
LU5. Join operations. Sorting and Grouping operations
LU7. Overview of NoSQL database types. CAP theorem. Wrap-up.
Programs where the course is taught:
- Specialization in Information Analysis and Management
- Specialization in Risk Analysis and Management
- Especialização em Data Science for Marketing
- Especialização em Digital Marketing and Analytics
- Specialization in Knowledge Management and Business Intelligence
- Specialization in Information Systems and Technologies Management
- Especialização em Marketing Intelligence
- Specialization in Marketing Intelligence
- Especialização em Marketing Research e CRM
- Specialization in Marketing Research and CRM
- Laboral - Especialização em Digital Marketing and Analytics
- Specialization in Knowledge Management and Business Intelligence – Working Hours Format
- Specialization in Information Systems and Technologies Management - Working Hours Format
- Laboral - Especialização em Marketing Intelligence
- Specialization in Marketing Intelligence - Working Hours Format
- Mestrado em Data-Driven Marketing
- Post-Graduation in Information Analysis and Management
- Post-Graduation Risk Analysis and Management
- PostGraduate in Data Science for Marketing
- PostGraduate in Digital Enterprise Management
- PostGraduate Digital Marketing and Analytics
- PostGraduate in Information Management and Business Intelligence in Healthcare
- Post-Graduation in Knowledge Management and Business Intelligence
- Post-Graduation Information Systems and Technologies Management
- PostGraduate in Marketing Intelligence
- PostGraduate Marketing Research e CRM
- PostGraduate in Enterprise Information Systems