The Spatial Databases curricular unit aims to provide an introductory perspective towards concepts related to the design, development, management and use of spatial databases, through the provision of a theoretical reference body and the resolution of practical exercises based on scenarios grounded in reality.
Miguel André Fouto Pinho de Oliveira
Weekly - Available soon
Total - Available soon
Portuguese. If there are Erasmus students, classes will be taught in English
Modelação de Bases de Dados Relacionais:
Powell, Gavin. (2006).Beginning Database Design. Wrox
Damas, Luis. (2005). Structured Query Language, 6ª Edição, FCA.
Linguagem SQL (Websites):
Bases de Dados Espaciais em geral:
Stefanakis, E. (2014) Geographic Databases and Information Systems, CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
Yeoung, A.; Brent Hall, G.(2007). Spatial Database Systems - Design, Implementation and Project Management, Springer
Shekhar, Shashi; Chawla, Sanjay (2003). Spatial Databases: A Tour, Prentice Hall.
Bases de Dados Espaciais ESRI:
Arctur, David; Zeiler, Michael (2004). Designing Geodatabases - Case Studies in GIS Data Modeling, ESRI Press
Bases de Dados Espaciais ESRI (Websites):
1. E-Learning component:
- Synchronous tools: E-Learning Synchronous Sessions Teacher/Class; Videoconference Sessions Teacher/Student; Self-Evaluation Tests; Final Examination Test.
- Asynchronous tools: Discussion Forum; Access to learning contents on the e-learning platform.
2. Classroom component (can be replaced by videoconference): Presentation and discussion of the Final Project.
Self-assessment (only for progression between learning units);
Final exam - 20% of the curricular unit´s final classification;
Final project (group or individual) - 80% of the curricular unit´s final classification;
- Project report: 40% of the curricular unit´s final classification;
- Project discussion and defense (individual): 40% of the curricular unit´s final classification.
Module 1: Introduction
Module 2: Aspects of Database Theory
Module 3: Aspects of the Relational Model
Module 4: Database Modelling
Module 5: SQL Tutorial
Module 6: Spatial Databases
Module 7: Creating, Managing and Editing ArcGIS Desktop Geodatabases
Module 8: Open-Source Spatial Databases
Programs where the course is taught: