Politics for Policy
A. Knowledge and Understanding
- Understand the concepts, processes and outcomes of public policy.
- Master the framework for policy analysis and the basic elements of policy action.
- Understand the fundamentals of political science and economics as applied to public policy.
B. Subject-Specific Skills
- Evaluate public choices, objectives, and courses of action.
- Integrate Economic and political concepts.
C. General Skills
- Tools in logical and contextual analysis as applied to the policymaking process, concepts, instruments, and outcomes.
José Manuel Albuquerque Tavares
Weekly - Available soon
Total - Available soon
- Bueno de Mesquita, Ethan (2016), “Political Economy for Public Policy”, Princeton University Press
- Dixit, Avinash K. (1996), “The Making of Economic Policy: A Transaction-Cost Politics Perspective”, MIT Press
Case studies and video case-studies. Group exercises.
Teaching will be based in a class experience combining the understanding of concepts through examples and discussion
and their application to selected case studies in public policy.
The Final Exam will have a weight of 50%, a group presentation will be worth 35%, and class participation the remainder
15%. There will be no midterm exam.
Normative and Positive
Individual and Collective Action
2. INSTITUTIONS AND PROCESSES
Citizens and Interest Groups
2.3. Support and Accountability
Information, Media and Public Policy
Elections and Public Policy
Programs where the course is taught: