NOVA School of Social Sciences and Humanities
- Bachelor in Anthropology
- Bachelor in Archeology
- Bachelor in Communication Sciences
- Bachelor in Geography and Regional Planning
- Bachelor in History
- Bachelor in Language Sciences
- Bachelor in Portuguese and Business
- Licenciatura in Musicology
- Licenciatura in Philosophy
- Licenciatura in Political Science and International Relations
- Licenciatura in Sociology
- Licenciatura in Sociology (After Work)
- Master in Aesthetics and Artistic Studies
- Master in Archaeology
- Master in Communication Sciences
- Master in Contemporary Myths: Literature, Arts and Culture
- Master in Crossways in Cultural Narratives
- Master in Cultural Heritage
- Master in Editing and Publishing
- Master in Education Studies
- Master in English Didactics
- Master in English Teaching in the 3rd cycle of Basic School and in Secondary School
- Master in History
- Master in History in the Public Sphere
- Master in History of Art
- Master in History of the Portuguese Empire
- Master in Information Management and Curation
- Master in Journalism
- Master in Language Sciences
- Master in Migration, Inter-Ethnicity and Transnationalism
- Master in Modern Literatures and Cultures
- Master in Museology
- Master in Musical Arts
- Master in Musicology
- Master in Performing Arts
- Master in Philosophy
- Master in Philosophy Teaching in Secondary Education
- Master in Political Science and International Relations
- Master in Portuguese Studies
- Master in Portuguese Teaching in the 3rd Cycle of Basic School and in Secondary School
- Master in Portuguese as a Second or Foreign Language
- Master in Science Communication
- Master in Sociology
- Master in Spatial Planning and Geographic Information Systems
- Master in Sustainable Urbanism and Spatial Planning
- Master in Teaching Geography in the 3rd Cycle of Basic Education and in Secondary Education
- Master in Teaching History in the 3rd Cycle of Basic Education and in Secondary Education
- Master in Teaching of English and a Foreign Language in the 3rd Cycle of Elementary Education, specialization in Spanish or French
- Master in Teaching of English in Primary Education
- Master in Teaching of Musical Education in Elementary Education
- Master in Teaching of Portuguese and a Foreign Language in the 3rd Cycle of Elementary Education and in Secondary Education, specialisation in German, or Spanish, or French, or English
- Master in Territorial Management
- Master in Translation
- Master in Trends in English and North American Studies
- Master in Urban Studies
- Master in Women's Studies. Women in Society and in Culture
- Transition, Innovation and Sustainability Environments (TISE - Erasmus Mundus)
- PhD In International Relations
- PhD in Anthropology (association)
- PhD in Anthropology: Politics and Displays of Culture and Museology
- PhD in Art Studies - Art and Mediations
- PhD in Climate Change and Sustainable Development Policies
- PhD in Communication Sciences
- PhD in Didactics of Languages - Multilingualism and Education for Global Citizenship
- PhD in Digital Media
- PhD in Education
- PhD in Gender Studies
- PhD in Geography and Territorial Planning
- PhD in Globalization Studies
- PhD in History of Art
- PhD in Human Ecology
- PhD in Linguistics
- PhD in Literatures and Modern Cultures
- PhD in Medieval Studies
- PhD in Musicology
- PhD in Philosophy
- PhD in Political Science
- PhD in Portuguese Studies
- PhD in Sociology (association)
- PhD in Translation Studies
- PhD in Translation and Terminology
- PhD in Urban Studies
- Postgraduate Course in ART MARKET
- Postgraduate Course in Bioanthropology and Archaeology
- Postgraduate Course in Globalization, Diplomacy and Security
- Postgraduate Course in Historical Archivistics
- Postgraduate Course in Music in Early Childhood: Intervention and Research
- Postgraduate Course in Politics and Digital Citizenship
- Postgraduate Course in Science and Technology Management and Policy
- Postgraduate Course in Teaching Portuguese as a Second Language
- Postgraduate Course in Visual Studies - Photography and (Post) Cinema
- Postgraduate Course in the Art Curatorship
- Postgraduate Course in the Arts of Writing
- Postgraduate Course in the Information Management and Curation
- Postgraduate in Communication of Culture and Creative Industries
- Postgraduate in Internal Communication and Well-being in Organizations
- Specialization in Data Analysis and Information Visualization
- Specialization in Language Acquisition and Impairment: Challenges of Language Neuroscience in the 21st Century
GeneralThe NOVA way of being in the social sciences, arts, and humanities.
The School of Social Sciences and Humanities - NOVA University of Lisbon (NOVA FCSH) opened its doors in January 1978 with a focus on the social sciences and humanities, challenging the leading role of the Colleges of Letters in the Portuguese panorama.
Since that year, NOVA FCSH has been a pioneer in many areas of knowledge, but, above all, in the vision it has developed for teaching and research, which winds up today in a permanent commitment: interdisciplinarity, internationalization and transfer of knowledge for society.
The NOVA way of being in the social sciences, the arts and the humanities is reflected in the numbers of excellence, in the people who are part of the community and in our daily challenges.
NOVA FCSH offers 15 undergraduate degrees; 43 master's degrees, nine of which in teaching; 25 doctorates; 12 postgraduate courses and two specialization courses.
The academic community welcomes almost 5,000 students, more than 300 professors, most of whom with a PhD, and about 1,500 researchers, of whom 150 are full-time staff. It also offers more than 400 mobility protocols in 22 countries.
Leadership is part of its DNA: it achieved first place in Social and Human Sciences research regarding the most cited publications (CWTS Leiden ranking of 2019); of the 14 Research Units evaluated by the Foundation for Science and Technology, eight had the classification Excellent and five obtained Very Good; it was considered the best university in Portugal to study arts and humanities (2017 Times Higher Education ranking).
NOVA FCSH has two campuses: at Avenida de Berna and at Campolide (Colégio Almada Negreiros).
Mobility studentsInternational and National Mobility Programs
The School of Social Sciences and Humanities has made considerable efforts on internationalization and receives an increasing number of students and teachers from internationally acknowledged universities every year. The School has established a wide network of partnerships to this effect. The University participates in several European programmes, namely Erasmus+, Erasmus-Mundus and Santander Universities Scholarships. NOVA FCSH hosts several partnerships with international higher education institutions for the mobility of students, teachers or administrative and technical staff/research members by means of bilateral agreements.
The Almeida Garrett programme provides a national framework for the mobility of students in Portugal, with the aim of reinforcing the quality and dimension of the national higher education system. This program allows students to attend a Portuguese partner university, in a given period of mobility, assuring full academic recognition.
Outgoing students, teachers or administrative and technical staff/research members can apply to universities offering positions, in accordance with the regulations. More information is available at the School’s Intranet.
For incoming students, teachers or administrative and technical staff/research members, the mobility takes place after partner Universities’ selection process and candidates should send all necessary documentation, properly filled in, signed and stamped. The Mobility office will then provide all necessary information for application procedures.
Location: Campus Av. Berna, Tower B, 1st Floor
Admission and enrollmentUndergraduate Programmes
Students are admitted to NOVA FCSH, through the National Access Competition for Higher Education, and register at the Academic Services - Undergraduate Section, within the period set by ministerial dispatch. In addition to the payment of the first instalment of tuition fees, administrative costs and educational insurance, the following documents are also required:
- 2 photographs - Identity Card (original)
- Tax Payer Number (original)
Students who have applied for admission through other Special Admission Procedures "Concursos Especiais" (older than 23 years of age and/or holders of higher education and training qualifications), as well as Transfers, Course changes and Readmissions, should register at the Academic Services - Undergraduate Section, after the decision concerning their application process is taken.
Applications for 1st cycle courses under the Regulation of the International Student Information at https://www.fcsh.unl.pt/internacional/estatuto-de-estudante-internacional/
After the selection process has been completed, students who have been admitted register at the Academic Services - Masters Section (see the school's academic calendar in this Guide). During registration, the payment of the first instalment of tuition fees, administrative costs and educational insurance is required. If the certificate of competence was not submitted at the time of application, it must be sent by email to email@example.com.
After the selection process has been completed, students who have been admitted register at the Academic Services – PhD Section (see the school's academic calendar in this Guide). During registration, the payment of the first instalment of tuition fees, administrative costs and educational insurance is required. If the certificate of competence was not submitted at the time of application, it must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mário Sottomayor Cardia Library
The BMSC was named after Professor Mário Sottomayor Cardia in 2008, following the donation of his private book collection, made by the family to the Faculty. This library is open to students, teachers, researchers and NOVA FCSH workers, as well as to anyone interested. Holder of a colletion with more than 150 thousand titles (142 thousand books, 4 thousand magazines and 4 thousand units of non-book material) BMSC asserts itself as a reference library in the area of Social Sciences and Humanities.
Location: NOVA FCSH, Torre B, 1st Floor
Opening hours: Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 8.00pm. Saturdays 9.30am to 1.30pm.
Vitorino Magalhães Godinho Library
The BVMG Library is a specialized library, dedicated to research and aimed, above all, at researchers. It is so named since 2018, following the donation of the library by Professor Vitorino Magalhães Godinho, made by the family to the Faculty. In addition to this private library, BVMG also provides documentary funds from 13 NOVA FCSH Research Units. Here, the Samuel Schwarz Library is also housed, a collection with unique characteristics that mainly deals with the history, culture and religion of the Jewish people, preserving works that date from 1510 to 1953.
Location: NOVA FCSH, Colégio Almada Negreiros, 1st Floor
Opening hours: Monday and Friday from 10.30am to 6.30pm
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 10.30am to 8.00pm.
Other equipmentsLaboratories | Computer rooms | Studios | Wireless Internet available throughout the Campus
Interchange programsThe School of Social Sciences and Humanities (NOVA FCSH) participates in several European and global programmes, namely:
- Santander Universities Exchange Scholarships~
- AULP Academic Mobility Program
- CIEE - College Study Abroad
- SiPn - Study in Portugal Network
- API – Academic Programs International
- Almeida Garrett (National Mobility)
NOVA FCSH promotes a great number of partnerships with international higher education institutions, for the mobility of students, teachers, researchers and administrative and technical staff members through bilateral agreements.
IntershipsNOVA FCSH supports the professional integration of its students, fostering activities that aim to expose them to the job market, as well as to entrepreneurial activities as a means for personal and professional development. NOVA FCSH develops its activity in the following areas:
- Professional guidance and counselling for students and recent graduates;
- Development of training activities and events focused on student and graduate employability;
- Fostering of entrepreneurial activities;
- Searching for and communicating job/internship opportunities to students and recent graduates;
- Corporate relations (reception and communication of job/internship opportunities; support regarding students and alumni recruitment, including the organization of corporate presentation events on campus).
ScholarshipsNOVA FCSH provides several scholarships for undergraduate, masters and PhD students, in order to support and award its students’ merit. - ESTUDAR+ Scholarships - Santander Future Scholarships - TOP Scholarships - NOVA Merit Scholarships - NOVA Social Welfare Services Scholarships
Language coursesPortuguese Language Courses for foreigners
Coordinated by: Professor Susana Correia
Semester Courses| Summer Course
More information available on http://ple.fcsh.unl.pt/
ILNOVA - Language Institute of Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Director: Professor Doutor Carlos Ceia | Vice-director: Professor Isabel Oliveira Martins
Food servicesNOVA FCSH’s students have a canteen that serves meals at reduced prices and access to all SASNOVA units, as well as food services belonging to all other Public Higher Education Institutions in Lisbon. In addition to the canteen, NOVA FCSH further provides:
- SASNOVA’s snack-bar, located at Floor 0, B Tower | Schedule: from 7:30AM until 8PM.
- Com Sabor Restaurant, located at NOVA FCSH’s campus | Schedule: from 8AM until 10PM.
Special needs facilitiesNOVA FCSH provides access ramps to the elevators at Towers A and B, as well as accessible restrooms in all buildings and floors. At the IT Office, in building B2, the following computer equipment specially adapted for the use of blind and visually impaired students is available:
- JAWS 11.0 (screen reader);
- Openbook (character recognition software);
- Magic 11.0 (screen enlargement software);
- Winbraille and Braille Índex Everest printer (software and printer for braille printing).
Students that wish to access specific support or conditions during their academic course due to special needs should request the Special Needs Statute. For this purpose, students must fill out the respective form, attaching medical reports and/or other documents, after the enrolment at NOVA FCSH. Contacts: Student and Candidate Support Office - email@example.com
Student associationStudent association NOVA FCSH Student Union: http://ae.fcsh.unl.pt/
Other informationSummer School (Escola de Verão)
Coordinator: Professor Clara Nunes Correia
NOVA FCSH launches every year, from july to september, a Summer School with intensive training programmes and short-term courses in all areas of Social Sciences and Humanities. Available to the general public, from Portugal or from the rest of the world, these courses aims at providing students an introduction or in-depth topics or specific materials covering all scientific fields taught at NOVA FCSH. Students will find a great opportunity to expand and develop skills with higher education lecturers and at the same time a privileged space for dialogue and a meeting point for people from Portuguese-speaking countries, Europe and the rest of the world. Upon successful completion, each course is worth a number of ECTS credits which may be recognised as part of ongoing studies. The Summer School courses are also accredited to primary or secondary school teachers.
Contacts: Tel.: 21 790 83 32 http://verao.fcsh.unl.pt | E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Innovation Centre is a NOVA FCSH organization dedicated to supporting the creation and initial development of companies, cooperatives and other economic projects of their students, recent graduates, alumni and researchers, and the transfer of knowledge among the faculty, their research units and economic actors in the fields of social sciences, arts and humanities.
More Information at our website.
1st Cycle - Enrolment in 2nd semester course units (online at InforEstudante): 2022-08-29 -> 2022-09-06
1st Cycle - Classes- 2nd semester: 2023-02-20 -> 2023-06-02
1st Cycle - Enrolment in repeat exams for the improvement of grades of 2nd semester or course units relating to the previous academic year (online at InforEstudante): 2023-06-19 -> 2023-06-23
1st Cycle - Repeat exams or improvement of grades period (2nd semester): 2023-06-26 -> 2023-07-05
2nd Cycle – Applications - 1st call: 2022-03-02 -> 2022-03-29
2nd Cycle/Postgraduate courses - Applications - 2nd call: 2022-05-18 -> 2022-07-04
2nd Cycle - Admissions/Enrolment in classes - 1st call: 2022-05-06 -> 2022-05-17
2nd Cycle - Renewal of the enrolment (for already registered students of previous year): 2022-08-29 -> 2022-09-13
2nd Cycle/Postgraduate courses - Admissions/Enrolment (2nd call): 2022-08-02 -> 2022-08-09
2nd Cycle/Postgraduate courses - Classes- 1st semester: 2022-09-19 -> 2022-12-17
2nd Cycle - Repeat exams or improvement of grades period (1st semester): 2023-01-23 -> 2023-01-31
2nd Cycle - Enrolment of course units - 2nd semester: 2023-02-10 -> 2023-02-17
2nd Cycle - Enrolment in master thesis/project/internship: 2022-08-29 -> 2022-09-13
2nd Cycle/Postgraduate courses - Classes- 2nd semester: 2023-02-20 -> 2023-06-02
2nd Cycle - Repeat exams or improvement of grades period (2nd semester): 2023-06-19 -> 2023-06-30
Postgraduate courses - Applications – 1st call: 2022-03-01 -> 2022-03-31
3rd Cycle - Applications (1st call): 2022-03-02 -> 2022-03-29
3rd Cycle - Applications (2nd call): 2022-05-18 -> 2022-07-04
3rd Cycle - Admissions/Enrolment/ Request Credit Transfer (for 1st call admitted candidates): 2022-05-06 -> 2022-05-17
3rd Cycle - Admissions/Enrolment/ Request Credit Transfer (for 2nd call admitted candidates): 2022-08-02 -> 2022-08-09
3rd Cycle - Renewal of the enrolment (for already registered students of previous year): 2022-08-29 -> 2022-09-06
3rd Cycle - Classes- 1st semester: 2022-09-19 -> 2022-12-17
3rd Cycle - Enrolment of course units - 2nd semester: 2023-02-10 -> 2023-02-17
3rd Cycle - Classes- 2nd semester: 2023-02-20 -> 2023-06-02
Carnival Break: 2023-02-20 -> 2023-02-21
Easter Break: 2023-04-05 -> 2023-04-10
1st Cycle - Enrolment in course units (for already registered students of previous year): 2022-08-29 -> 2022-09-06
1st Cycle - Classes- 1st semester: 2022-09-19 -> 2023-01-13
Calendário Académico - 1.ºCiclo - Período de Aulas - 1.º semestre (Alunos 1.º ano): 2022-09-19 -> 2023-01-13
1st Cycle - Enrolment in repeat exams for the improvement of grades of 1st semester or course units relating to the previous academic year (online at InforEstudante): 2023-01-18 -> 2023-01-23
1st Cycle - Repeat exams or improvement of grades period: 2023-02-06 -> 2023-02-17