Master in Teaching of Musical Education in Elementary Education
The student should be able to:
- Acquire the psychological, sociological, historical and philosophical foundations for the profession of teacher.
- Understand models of music education that support the acquisition of a repertoire of techniques and strategies for teaching.
- Acquire a repertoire of techniques and strategies for teaching.
- Adapt their musical skills to music education.
- Apply a program of music education in basic education.
- Reflect on teaching practices and their ethical and professional framework.
Master (2nd Cycle)
Access to other programs
Access to the cycle of studies which leads to a Doctorate Degree. For the specific access conditions, consult the regulations governing the doctoral programmes at NOVA FCSH.
Length: 2 years / 4 semesters. Total credits: 120 credits (70 in course units of the study programme + 50 in the non-taught component).To obtain the masters degree, the student must realize in accordance with Decree-Law 79/2014, 14th May, an introduction to professional practice which are assigned 50 credits (45 ECTS match Supervised Teaching Practice and 5 ECTS to the Seminar of Supervised Teaching Practice).The degree of «mestre» corresponds to the level 7 of the NQF and EQF-National Qualifications Framework/European Qualifications Framework.
a) Knowledge and understanding of the general principles and guidelines of the national educational policy and its evolution;
b) Knowledge and understanding of underlying pedagogic principles, didactics and educational research methodologies;
c) Ability to apply pedagogic, didactic and methodological knowledge to the definition, management and evaluation of syllabuses and pedagogic practices;
d) Ability to modify pedagogic and didactic practices to suit the specific nature of the subject area, level of education, students and school resources, including the ability to adapt them to multicultural contexts;
e) Ability to activate and apply acquired scientific, cultural, pedagogic and didactic knowledge to produce teaching-learning activities and assessment instruments appropriate to curriculum and syllabus requirements and objectives and to the specificities of students and the school environment;
f) Ability to reflect on the ethical, social and cultural implications of teaching, within the context of contemporary world problems, national educational policy guidelines and citizenship training;
g) Learning and research competencies which can be mobilised for self-directed learning and for professional training and development throughout the teacher’s career.
Conditions of admittance
Application and access conditions to the cycle of studies reflect the conditions established in the national legislation, namely: - to hold a licenciado degree or legal equivalent; - to hold a foreign academic degree recognized by the Scientific Council of NOVA FCSH; - to hold an academic, scientific or professional curriculum vitae recognized by the Scientific Council of NOVA FCSH; - to hold, at least, 120 credits in instrumental and vocal practice, musical training and in Musicology and in none of these areas with less than 25 credits. Applicants will be selected and ranked according to the criteria annually defined in the application edict.
1) To complete the taught component of the cicle of studies the student must complete 70 ECTS. Obtainment of 60 credits of the taught component of the master's course necessarily precedes the enrollment in 10 remaining credits of the same, as well as the enrollment for the Supervised Teaching Practice with Report. Thus, the student must complete 60 ECTS in the first year of the master´s course being able to complete the remaining 10 ECTS in the second year in a curricular unit in the teaching area. 2) Knowledge evalutation in the courses is individual and takes place at the end of each semester. The following tools will be considered: final oral and/or written assignments, papers or other assessment tools, in conditions to be agreed upon with each lecturer. The result of the evaluation is expressed in a mark from 0 to 20. 3) Approval in a course requires a final grade equal to or above 10.
|Elective options 1|
|722171259||Education Curriculum and Multiculturalism||5.0|
|722171258||Education Systems and School Cultures||5.0||Mandatory ECTS number: 15|
|722160096||Music Didatics in Music Education III (Curriculum and programs)||10.0|
|722160095||Music Didatics in Music Education II (Music Learning Theory)||10.0|
|722160094||Music Didactics in Music Education I (Music Teaching Practices)||10.0|
|02108270||Inclusão e Diversidade na Sala de Aula||5.0|
|722021047||Movement, Voice and Communication||10.0|
|722160097||Resources and Techonologies in Music Education||10.0|