Master in Spatial Planning and Geographic Information Systems
The course has the following objectives: General Objectives -Contribute to a culture of understanding and analyses of the territory; -Contribute to better Spatial Planning practices; -Increase the offer of lifelong training courses, adequate to the Bologna model. Specific Objectives -Provide a theoretical basis on Spatial Planning, based on the Portuguese example; -Provide the students competences for a permanent knowledge construction; -Provide the theoretical and practical knowledge to ensure a competent use of Geographic Information Systems in Spatial Planning; -Increase the offer of e-learning initiatives concerning spatial planning and Geographic Information Systems.
Master (2nd Cycle)
Access to other programs
Access to the cycle of studies which leads to a Doctorate Degree. For the specific access conditions, consult the regulations governing the doctoral programmes at NOVA FCSH.
Rui Pedro de Sousa Pereira Monteiro Julião
1300 Euros/year or 2700 Euros/year (foreign students)
Duration: 2 years/4 semesters.
Total credits: 120 credits (60 credits from curricular units + 60 credits from the non-teaching component).
Non-teaching component modes: Dissertation or Project Work or Internship with Report.
The degree of «mestre» corresponds to the level 7 of the NQF and EQF-National Qualifications Framework/European Qualifications Framework.
1. Knowledge of the technical and scientific means and processes to elaborate, execute and manage land-use plans using Geographic Information Systems (GIS);
2. Capacity for scientific and technical evaluation of studies and projects concerning Spatial Planning and Geographic Information Systems;
3. Leadership, negotiation and communication skills in the elaboration, and management of Spatial Planning and Geographic Information Systems studies;
4. Knowledge of spatial planning objectives, problems and solutions applied to different contexts and territorial scales;
5. Capacity to apply the main territorial planning methodologies;
6. Understanding the relation between the existing land-use plans;
7. Knowledge of the assessment instruments and of the territorial management processes;
8. Apply acquisition, organization and management techniques for geographic information and spatial planning;
9. Capacity to apply the knowledge acquired to new and/or complex problems;
10. Capacity to use the GIS and Remote Sensing software used in private and public sectors.
Conditions of admittance
Application and access conditions to the cycle of studies reflect the conditions established in the national legislation, namely: - to hold a licenciado degree or legal equivalent; - to hold a foreign academic degree recognized by the Scientific Council of NOVA FCSH; -to hold an academic, scientific or professional curriculum vitae recognized by the Scientific Council of NOVA FCSH. Applicants will be selected and ranked according to the criteria annually defined in the application edict.
A final grade, expressed as a number between 10 and 20 on a scale of 0 to 20 as well as its equivalent on the ECTS grading scale, is awarded for the post-graduate diploma. The final grade of the post-graduate diploma is the average, by credit, of the grades obtained in the course units in which the student obtained the 60 credits from the taught part of the Masters course. A final grade, expressed as a number between 10 and 20 on a scale of 0 to 20 as well as its equivalent on the ECTS grading scale, is awarded for the Masters degree. The final grade of the Masters degree will be the average of the final grade of the taught part of the course, weighted to 40%, and the grade awarded to the dissertation, project work or practical work experience report, weighted to 60%.
|722041100||Spatial Planning and Environment||10.0|
|722041102||Geographic Information Systems and Cartography||10.0|
|722041104||Geographic Information Systems and Spatial Modelling||10.0|
|722041101||Techniques and Methodologies for Territorial Planning||10.0|
|722041105||Geographic Information Technologies in Spatial Planning||10.0|
|Opções Condicionadas (a)|
|722041106||Dissertation in Spatial Planning and Geographic Information Systems||60.0|
|722041107||Practical Training with Report on Spatial Planning and Geographic Information Systems||60.0|
|722041108||Project Work in Spatial Planning and Geographic Information Systems||60.0||Mandatory ECTS number: 60|