Strategic Communication of Science


Students are expected
a) to learn the key-concepts in marketing and communication and the main tools for marketing integrated communication;
b) to discuss the concept of brand applied to science communication;
c) to apply strategic communication models to science communication;
d) to be familiar with new tendencies in marketing and communication (ignition models for innovation and methods to pre-evaluate their success;advertising 2.0; new positioning of communication agents);
e) to recognize the need for creativity in science communication;
f) to master communication media and supports relevant to science communication (notions of art direction, creative writing, and stages of spreading actions and event planning);
g) to grasp the necessary tools for best dealing with scientists, journalists, communication agencies, advertising agencies;

General characterization





Responsible teacher

Luís Filipe Gama Proença Veríssimo dos Santos


Weekly - 4

Total - 280

Teaching language





Brochand, B. et al (1999). Publicitor, Lisboa: Dom Quixote.
Dean, Cornelia (2009). Am I making myself clear? A scientist’s guide to talking to the public, Harvard: Harvard UP.
Lendrevie, J., et al, (2004). Mercator XXI Lisboa: Dom Quixote.
Ogden,J. (2000).Comunicação Integrada de Marketing. S. Paulo: Ed. Saraiva .
Olins, W. (2005). A Marca. Lisboa: Ed.Verbo.
Tsu, S. (2009). A arte da guerra, Lisboa: Relógio D´Água.

Teaching method

Essential concepts will be introduced by the lecturers and discussed with the students resorting to concrete examples and real case scenarios.
Students will have the opportunity to critically evaluate different communication actions both in science and other domains.
Throughout the semester, students will develop an integrated science communication project.

Evaluation method

Evaluation method - Continuous evaluation (60%) will correspond to the student’s participation in classes and proposed activities. The remaining component (40%) corresponds to the project evaluation by the lectures.(100%)

Subject matter

As the background noise of available information increases, to get a message across to the public becomes a challenge. Science communication can no longer afford to be the hobby of some scientists and becomes a specialized activity in research institutions. This Curricular unit aims to reflect on the reality of communication in other societal domains to extract a new paradigm for science communication.
The main topics included in this curricular unit are: a) marketing and communication; b) science as brand, science communication and publics; c) strategic planning in science communication; d) new tendencies in marketing and communication; e) creativity, supports and media for communicating, and events applied to science communication; f) internal and external relations in research institutions.
This unit further includes a laboratorial section with examples, exercises, critical analysis of communication strategies, developing a science communication integrated project.


Programs where the course is taught: