Master in Education Studies
Master (2nd Cycle)
Access to other programs
Access to the cycle of studies which leads to a Doctorate Degree. For the specific access conditions, consult the regulations governing the doctoral programmes at NOVA FCSH.
José David Gomes Justino, Susana Paiva Moreira Batista
1300 Euros/year or 2700 Euros/year (foreign students)
Duration: 2 years / 4 semesters Credits: 120 ECTS. The master's degree is structured in four semesters, the first three of which are curricular part and the preparation of the non-teaching component. In the 4th semester, the student will carry out one of the following types of non-teaching component: dissertation, project work or internship with report.
The degree of «mestre» corresponds to the level 7 of the NQF and EQF-National Qualifications Framework/European Qualifications Framework.
- Knowledge and mastery of education studies;
- Ability to research and interpret scientific production on education;
- Ability to identify, question, investigate and intervene on educational issues, from the smallest to the largest level;
- Understanding of the existing relationships between economic, social, cultural and political contexts and the development of educational systems and school organizations;
- Ability to design, plan and monitor educational policies and practices based on scientific knowledge (evidence-based), at macro, meso and/or micro;
- Analysis, evaluation and design of public education policies in a comparative perspective, in the multiplicity of intervention scales: macro (national and international policies), meso (regional and municipal policies) and micro (local policies and school practices and dynamics);
- Design and development of models for monitoring, self-assessment and external assessment of organizations and educational practices.
- Analysis, design and development of solutions aimed at the effectiveness and efficiency of educational organizations in achieving their mission;
- Conception of strategies for mobilizing social, economic and cultural resources for the development of educational projects and partnerships in their different scales.
Conditions of admittance
Application and access conditions to the cycle of studies reflect the conditions established in the national legislation, namely: - to hold a licenciado degree or legal equivalent; - to hold a foreign academic degree recognized by the Scientific Council of NOVA FCSH; - to hold an academic, scientific or professional curriculum vitae recognized by the Scientific Council of NOVA FCSH. Applicants will be selected and ranked according to the criteria annually defined in the application edict.
A final grade, expressed as a number between 10 and 20 on a scale of 0 to 20 as well as its equivalent on the ECTS grading scale, is awarded for the post-graduate diploma. The final grade of the post-graduate diploma is the average, by credit, of the grades obtained in the course units in which the student obtained the 60 credits from the taught part of the Masters course. A final grade, expressed as a number between 10 and 20 on a scale of 0 to 20 as well as its equivalent on the ECTS grading scale, is awarded for the Masters degree. The final grade of the Masters degree will be the average of the final grade of the taught part of the course, weighted to 40%, and the grade awarded to the dissertation, project work or practical work experience report, weighted to 60%.
|Elective optional 1 to 2|
|722141037||Education and Multiculturalism||10.0|
|722031072||Philosophy of Education||10.0|
|722031067||Educational Policy and History||10.0||Mandatory ECTS number: 20|
|Elective optional 8|
|02103079||Dissertation in Studies of Education||30.0|
|02103096||Work Experience with Report in Studies of Education||30.0|
|02103085||Work Project in Studies of Education||30.0||Mandatory ECTS number: 30|
|Elective optionals 3 to 5|
|02102992||Data Analisys - Quantitative methods||10.0|
|02103004||Evaluation of educational organizations and policies||10.0|
|722081040||Knowledge, Education and Society||10.0|
|02103010||Curriculum, Teaching and Evaluation||5.0|
|722141062||Educational Psychology||10.0||Mandatory ECTS number: 30|
|Elective optionals 6 to 7|
|02103032||Data Analisys - Qualitative and mixed methods||10.0||Mandatory ECTS number: 15|
|02103103||Monitoring Seminar (Education Studies)||5.0|
|02103114||Research Progress in Studies of Education||10.0|