Master in History in the Public Sphere
- An ability to critically assess the public uses and representations of history;
- A knowledge of the most up-to-date historiography in global and transnational history, the different ways of studying local contexts in dialogue with global developments (and vice versa), and the methods of comparative history;
- An ability to compare and contrast large geographic entities over long historical periods;
- An ability to design and implement a full-scale historical research project;
- A practical experience with methods of display and organization of historical exhibitions;
- A practical experience with the uses of audiovisual media and online platforms in historical research and knowledge dissemination;
- An ability to work in multicultural teams, academic-level writing, speaking, and writing in English;
- An ability to dialogue with social actors and non-academic publics in the context of producing and disseminatinghistorical knowledge in society.
Master (2nd Cycle)
Access to other programs
Pedro Aires Ribeiro da Cunha Oliveira
Length: 4 semesters.
Student must acquire 120 ECTS in: Central European University - CEU (1st semester); Tokyo University of Foreign Studies - TUFS (2nd semester); Universidade NOVA de Lisboa/NOVA FCSH ou Università degli Studi di Firenze - UNiFI (3rd semester); CEU/TUFS or NOVA FCSH/TUFS or UNIFi/TUFS (4th semester).
In what concerns the semester(s) which a student can chose to do at NOVA – the 3rd semester and part of the 4th semester’s mobility, the Program’s interdisciplinary vocation is ensured by the participation of instructors from the History, Art History, Media and Anthropology departments.
Conditions of admittance
Applicants must hold the equivalent of an academic Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized higher education institution,corresponding to at least 180 ECTS, in a field relevant to the program, preferably in the humanities and social sciences.For candidates holding a BA degree in a different field, relevant working experience will be taken into consideration.Candidates whose first language is English or who have earned a degree taught exclusively in English are exempted from submitting proof of language proficiency. All other candidates must demonstrate proficiency in English by submitting standardized English language test scores. More information at https://hipsma.com/admissions/ .
|Group of options 10 (Universidade Nova de Lisboa – NOVA FCSH)|
|02106272||History in the Media:contesting, commemorating, resignificating||8.0||Mandatory ECTS number: 8|
|Group of options 11 to 12 (Universidade Nova de Lisboa – NOVA FCSH)|
|02106305||Oral History: theories and methods||2.0|
|02106294||The Essentials of Archival Research||2.0||Mandatory ECTS number: 4|
|02106193||Practitioner workshop 3||4.0|
|02106182||Western European Empires – from colonial past to postcolonial world||8.0|
|02106206||Research Thesis or Project Consultation||6.0|