Technologies and Chemical Processes
The students have to learn how to formulate and solve material and energy balances on chemical processes systems.The basic concepts of thermodinamics, unit operations, kinetics and process dinamics are introduced.Some technologies and processes used in chemical industry (case studies) are analised and discussed.
Isabel Maria de Figueiredo Ligeiro da Fonseca
Weekly - 3
Total - 60
Elementary Principles of Chemical Processes, Richard Felder, Ronald W.Rousseau, John Wiley &Son (2000)
In the theoretical and practical classes the successive topics of the course programme will be explained and discussed. The presentation of the subject is accompanied by the presentation of practical examples allowing the consolidation of knowledge and encouraging the critical participation of students. After the introduction of the concepts, several practical problems are solved whose solution requires the application of the knowledge learned. The learning is complemented by the presentation of a seminar on an industrial chemical process.
- 2 tests and a seminar
- the final grade is given by 35% 1º test (miniminum grade 9,5) +45% 2º test +20% seminar
- In the 2nd test and in the seminar there is no minimum score
- Revision of tests requested by the student may result in an alteration of the mark if an error in correction or quotation is found and as such may result in an increase or decrease of the mark.
- The seminars are mandatory for those who do continuous evaluation.
- Students who choose to take only the exam can also take a seminar, with a score of 0.8+0.2 for the exame
1-Engineering Problem analysis.
Introduction to engineering calculations.Processes and process varibles.
2- Material Balances
Fundamentals of material balances on reactive and non reactive processes. Balances on multiple unit processes.
3- Energy Balances
Energy and energy balances. Balances on non reactive processes. balances on reactive processes
4 -Case Studies
Refining processes (destillation,), Keyes process, cristals production, concentration of fruit juices, Wulff process, synthesis of methanol.
Programs where the course is taught: