Destructive and Nondestructive Testing
Provide knowledge on:
- Mechanical properties of main categories of engineering materials and Destructive Testing.
- Non-Destructive Testing.
Telmo Jorge Gomes dos Santos
Weekly - 3
Total - 42
Paulo Martins, Tecnologia Mecânica, ed Escolar Editora, 2º ed, 2011
Almeida, F. P., Barata, J., Barros, P., Ensaios Não Destrutivos, 1ª Edição, Edições Técnicas ISQ, 1992;
ASM Handbook, “Materials Characterization”, Volume 10, ASM Handbook, 1992;
ASM Handbook, “Nondestructive Evaluation and Quality Control”, Volume 17, ASM Handbook, 1992;
António Magalhães, João Paulo Davim, Ensaios Mecânicos e Tecnológicos, Publindústria, 3ª edição, 2010
Course notes / slides.
In theoretical classes, the subject is exposed, and student participation is encouraged.
In practical classes, laboratory tests are carried out that encourage contact with equipment and the acquisition of sensitivity for carrying out experimental work.
In addition to face-to-face contact classes, tutorial monitoring of students is carried out supported by online teaching-learning tools.
1st Test on NDT (35%);
2nd Test on ED (35%);
Report of on-site visits to the Laboratories (30%).
Part 1: Destructive Testing (DT)
- Materials, Material Groups, Properties, Concepts and essential phenomena;
- Essentials of the main Destructive Tests:
1) Uniaxial Tensile Testing (UTS)
2) Uniaxial Compression Test (UTS)
3) Bend Test (3 and 4 points) and Bending
4) Torsion Test
5) Hardness Testing (Brinell, Rockwell, Vickers, Knoop)
6) Impact Test (Charpy)
7) Biaxial test (Erichsen, Nakajima)
8) Fatigue Test
9) Creep test
Part 2: Non Destructive Testing (NDT)
- Background, Generalities, Reliability, Industrial applications;
- Defects (Morphology, location and dimension) and relation with Materials+Processes;
- NDT Methods and their Techniques (Fundamentals, Applications, Technological aspects):
1) Visual Inspection (IV)
2) Liquid Penetrant (LP)
3) Magnetic Particles (MP)
4) Radiology (RX)
5) Ultrasound (US)
6) Induced Currents (IC)
Programs where the course is taught: