Coatings and Complementary Building Techonologies
Provide advanced knowledge on subjects related to construction technologies relating to:
- Roof cladding systems (slanted and flat, including all complementary and cladding layers)
- Waterproofing and drainage systems (of roofs, buried walls with access from the outside and underground basements with retaining walls), namely unique areas
- Wall and ceiling cladding systems (including all complementary layers and the cladding itself)
- Floor covering systems (including all complementary layers and the actual covering)
- Span closure elements (windows, span protection and air intake devices)
Maria Paulina Santos Forte Faria Rodrigues
Weekly - 3
Total - 42
This Curricular Unit (CU) requires the skills and competences acquired in the CU of:
- Construction Materials I and II
- Building Technologies
- Building Physics
Papers from international and Portuguese journals, namely from:
- Construction and Building Materials
- Journal of Building Engineering
- Journal of Building Appraisal
- Energy and Buildings
- Conservar Património
- Construção Magazine
- Pedra e Cal
International and Portuguese literature namely from conferences and projects, from the National Laboratory of Civil Engineering (LNEC), standards and norms from mainly from CEN and IPQ.
Theoretical and practical lectures.
Seminars by invited specialists. Visit to applied laboratorial research examples. Visit to factories and application sites. Discussions on reference bibliography.
The unit has a strong theoretical nature to fundament the syllabus and practical works defined and controlled during the practical classes. A great importance is devoted to constructive building details.
When taking any test, Students must also take into account the provisions of the FCT NOVA Assessment Regulation: “When the existence of fraud or plagiarism is proven, in any of the assessment elements of a CU, the students directly involved are outright rejected at the CU, (...).”
Minimum of 50% attendance in all classes
Continuous assessment (100% = 10% up to 35% "AC" + at least 65% Tests)
Exam when failing in the Continous assessment (100% = 10% up to 35% "AC" + at least 65% Written Exam)
Written exam: On all the subject of the curricular unit, including the result of the work carried out, the visits and seminars of the CU
- Tests (minimum of 9.0/20 average) - It is also the minimum mark for the Exam
- Assignments (those not completed revert to % of Tests or Exam)
----- Report on the visit(s) to a working site selected by the student where complementary layers and coatings are being applied - mandatory (10%)
----- Choice, validation and presentation of a scientific article in an international journal on RT + peer review (15%)
----- Small work of introduction to research on a subject defined in classes with each group + presentation + peer evaluation (10%)
Underground construction waterproofing systems. Types and applications. Singular areas. Requirements, durability and rehabilitation.
Roof complementary layers and roofing systems. Classifications, types and application. Singular points. Requirements, durability, maintenance and rehabilitation.
Wall complementary layers and finishing. Classifications, types and application: facing bricks, rendering and plastering mortar systems, stone cladding, ETICS; adherent and independent coatings. Paint systems. Requirements, durability, maintenance and rehabilitation.
Flooring and complementary layers. Adequacy of the flooring to the place of application. Requirements, durability, maintenance and rehabilitation.
Windows and doors.
See "Documents - Others" - Ficha da UC (in Portuguese and English)