Legislation and Consumer Protection
Skill acquisition and expertise: (1) Fundamental concepts on consumer law; (2) Basis for a consumer protection policy; (3) National, EU and international legislation.
Ana Lúcia Monteiro Durão Leitão
Weekly - 2
Total - 28
They are not foreseen.
National, EU and international legislation.
The learning methodologies include an oral theme presentation by the teacher and its discussion and critical analysis, during or at the presentation´s ending. The students are encouraged to take the critical remarks upon themselves as well as the development of a proactive and deepened participation in the theme`s discussion.
According the FCT´s assessment rules the curricular unit has a seminar type assessment, aiming the elaboration of a monographic work (80% to the final grade), presentation (10% to the final grade) and discussion (10% to the final grade) about the application of food legislation on a specific product.
The curricular unit approval requires a minimum classification of 9.5 values (scale of 20).
1. Definition of Consumer. Political basic principles of the protection of Consumers.
2. Community legislation on food domain.
3. Green Paper on the general principles of food law in the European Union. White Paper on food safety.
4. Green Paper on food quality.
5. Rights granted to consumers in the national legal system. Law of Bases for Consumer Protection.
Programs where the course is taught: