General Organic Chemistry A
Background knowledge in Organic Chemistry for future Biomedical Engineers and Celular and Molecular Biology Graduates.
Elvira Maria Sardão Monteiro Gaspar
Weekly - 4
Total - 60
Basic knowledge in English.
Basic knowledge in Physics and general Chemistry.
- Paula Yurkanis Bruice – Organic Chemistry, 7th edition (Pearson, 2014)
- Paula Yurkanis Bruice - Student''''s Solutions Manual for Organic Chemistry
- Macroscale and Microscale Organic Experiments 6e. Keneth L. Williamson; Katherine M. Masters. Cengage Learning Inc.
- "Guia de Laboratório de Química Orgânica Geral A" 2022
- Gaspar, E "Folhas de Problemas e Problemas resolvidos" (available in Clip platform before classes)
Lectures with digital support and application examples.
Resolution of exercises and application examples - TP classes.
Six practical classes, involving 4 different laboratory works.
Método de avaliação:
- 75% theoretical component
- 25% practical component
- Minumum evaluation 9,5 val at both components
Evaluation of the theoretical component:
- 2 tests (40% + 60%) .
Minimum grade in tests 8 values. Final weighted average greater than or equal
to 9.5 values.
Practical component evaluation:
1 - Mandatory presence in all laboratory classes -
2 - It is mandatory to have a laboratory notebook.
Quantitative evaluation of the practical component -
Arithmetic mean of 4 mini-tests. Minimum grade in each is 9.5 values.
1. Introduction. Strucure of organic compounds. Covalent bonds. Hybridisation. Resonance and aromaticity. Functional groups. Physical properties.
2. Reactivity in Organic Chemistry. Kinetics and thermodinamics. Reaction mechanisms. Acidity and basicity.
3. Saturated hydrocarbons. Isomerism, Conformational analysis. Radical reactions.
5. Nucleophylic substitution and elimination reactions. Mechanisms snd rectivity.
6. Unsaturated hydrocarbons. Addition reactions. Reactions of aromatic compounds.
7. Carbonyl compounds.